VEGAN BAKED PENNE WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
Creamy “cheese” sauce:
- 3 tbs earth balance butter
- 3 tbs flour (GF if you prefer)
- 3 cups plant milk (i used plain almond milk)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mesquite liquid smoke
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbs dijon mustard (i used smoky dijon, yum!)
- 1 tsp salt and pepper each
- 2 1/2 cups daiya mozzarella cheese
In a medium stock pot, melt the butter and flour together over medium heat, whisking until bubbly and well combined. Pour in the milk and whisk to combine. As you wait for the milk mixture to come to a boil, add all of the remaining ingredients except for the daiya cheese. Whisk continually until mixture begins to boil and increase in volume (be careful, this happens quickly and you don’t want it to spill over). Remove from heat and whisk in the daiya mozzarella cheese until melted.
Baked penne with roasted vegetables:
- 2 red or yellow peppers
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs dried herbs de provence
- 1 pound penne pasta (use GF if preferred)
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- one batch of creamy “cheese” sauce (recipe above)
Preheat oven to 450°F. chop the peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and onion being careful to keep them all roughly the same size so they roast and bake evenly. Toss with the oil, salt, pepper and herbs de povence. roast on a large baking sheet until tender, about 15 minutes.
While the veggies are roasting, make the creamy cheese sauce (recipe above), and set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat, add the pasta and cook for about half as long as the package directs you to. You’ll want the pasta to still be firm, as you’ll be cooking it a second time in the oven. Drain in a colander and set aside.
In a large bowl or pan, toss the roasted veggies with the pasta, marinara sauce, creamy cheese sauce and peas. Pour into a lightly greased large baking dish and bake until the top is golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.