VEGAN PIZZA ROLLS
- 1 Cup Soymilk
- 1 Packet Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup AP Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Margarine
- 1/3 Cup Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Ounces Mozzarella-Style Sheese, Grated [Or any other solid vegan “cheese”]
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat the soymilk in a microwave-safe dish for just about a minute in order to warm it through. Add in the yeast and let sit. While those two ingredients become better acquainted, in a separate bowl, combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the margarine in, and make sure to chop all of the fat into the smallest pieces you can manage, so they are completely coated in the dry ingredients to make fine crumbs. Pour in the soymilk / yeast mixture at this time, and mix it all together so that it all forms a cohesive, but still rather moist dough.
- This is where things get tricky, so work carefully. Dump the dough out onto a well-floured surface, flouring your hands lightly as well so that you can manually pat it out into a rectangle measuring somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 x 8 inches. Being such a loose dough, it won’t play nicely with a rolling pin, so you just need to poke and prod it into shape with your hands. Once you achieve a satisfactory rectangle, spread the pizza sauce over it, going most of the way to the edges but leaving perhaps a centimeter uncovered all around. Sprinkle the garlic powder over it, followed by the grated Sheese. Try to cover the surface evenly with all of the above.
- Finally, you’re ready to roll! Gently roll the dough from the long side, moving with care and without stretching or pulling the dough. Once you have a nice log, cut 1 inch pieces with a sharp knife, using a sawing motion and as little downward pressure as you can muster to prevent the rolls from becoming completely smushed. Move the rolls to a silpat-lined baking sheet, [About 9 per sheet so that they have room to spread] reshape them if necessary, and bake for 13 – 17 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy warm or reheat in a toaster oven later.