KRISPY DREAM DOUGHNUTS
Makes about 24 doughnuts
- 1 1/2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups warm non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yest in the 1/4 cup water.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt, applesauce, shortening, and 2 cups of flour. Beat on low for 30 seconds - scraping the sides of the bowl as you go. Increase the speed to medium and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups of flour and combine thoroughly. Cover the bowl with a towel and allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes to an hour. When the dough has increased in size and when poked - the indentation remains - it’s ready!
- Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and lightly coat with flour. Gently roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into strips and form them into the classic doughnut shape. Sometimes the strips will have to be cut in half so the doughnuts aren’t too big!
- Once you’re done forming all the doughnuts - cover them and allow them to rise until they’ve doubled in size. It will usually take 30-40 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- Carefully slide the doughnuts into the oil one at a time. Don’t over crowd them! Fry on each side until golden brown - about 1 minute on each side.
- Place the doughnuts on a cooling rack lined with paper towels to allow them to drain and cool.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 tbsp hot water
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until everything is well combined.
- After the donuts have cooled - dip them in the glaze or brush the glaze on with a pastry brush. Set the doughnuts back on the cooling rack and allow the glaze to set.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles and enjoy!