VEGAN “UNBUTTER” CHICKEN
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups tomato puree (you can puree canned tomatoes)
- 2 cups almond or soy milk (original unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt (I used So Delicious coconut – plain)
- 2-4 teaspoon garam masala
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Herbamare or salt or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 oz) package chicken-style seitan, cut into cubes (See my recipe here) Or sub tofu or chickpeas
- 1-2 teaspoon garam masala
Roti/chapati or basmati rice to serve with
1. Heat a large non-stick saucepan or wok over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, water, ginger, garlic, curry powder, chili powder, cumin, and bay leaves. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato puree and cook for 3-4 minutes more. *Note I used canned tomatoes and just pureed them in the blender beforehand.
2. Reduce the heat to low and mix in the almond milk. *For a creamier curry, transfer contents to a blender or food process and process until smooth. Return to pan and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the vegan yogurt and season to taste with garam masala, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat a separate medium sized non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the seitan and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and season the seitan with teaspoons garam masala. Stir in about a 1/4 cup of the tomato-yogurt sauce and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes so it can absorb some of the flavours.
4. Transfer the seitan mixture to the saucepan and heat through.
5. Serve. (Curry will be really saucy and goes well on rice.)
Sub the seitan for sliced tofu, chickpeas, potatoes or cauliflower for variety.